[PLUG] Chromebook and Debian Jessie

Ken Stephens kens at cad2cam.com
Mon Dec 26 16:57:43 UTC 2016

Selinux is a way to lock down a Linux system.  All I am trying to do is
get a UNIX user to be able to open X windows.  All the Google searches
show how to use semanage, but with no status for the selinux user that
is created the Dbus cannot send messages to the X window system.  The
message I get is:

Unable to contact settings server

An SELinux policy prevents this sender from sending
this message to this recipient.  0 matched rules:
type-"method_call", sender="(null)" (inactive)
interface="org.freedesktop.DBus" member="Hello"
error name="(unset)" requested_reply="0"
destination="org.freedesktop.DBus" (bus)

The next screen is another alert:

Unable to load a failsafe session

Unable to determina failsafe session name.  Possible causes:
xfconfd isn't running (D-Bus setup problem); environment
variable $XDG_CONFIG_DIRS is set incorrectly (must include "/etc"),
or xfce4-session is installed incorrectly.

This last alert seems to be a result of the first alert.

The logged in user always gets and unprivileged SELinux id:
u:r:chromeos:s0

But semanange user -l:
SELinux User    Labeling Prefix    MLS    MLS Range    SELinux Roles
u                        user                        None    None

So no matter what policies or users I try I cannot change any policy or
add any users with higher privileges.

THE QUESTION, finally:
How do I get out of this ChromeOS jail?   I want X windows to work so I
an use OpenCPN on my sailboat.

If you don't want the solution posted on this forum, email me privately.

Regards,
Ken