[PLUG] TEMPer v 25.6 Linux...

Chuck Hast wchast at gmail.com
Fri Dec 30 05:06:07 UTC 2016

I use something called WeeWx, www.weewx.com for grabbing WX data off
of sensors, it is written in python and in fact the fellow that wrote it I
believe
lives in the gorge somewhere.

James are you using WeeWX?

My station data can be seen on WU, APRS and CWOP.

It can capture data from a whole bunch of sensors. You are probably well off
to get the I2C based sensors, from what I can see you can get those at a
good price and use the I2C bus to talk to them. I believe you can string a
bunch of them on that bus as I believe that they are addressed.

I have not worked with it yet, but I have started to look at it for some
other
applications (cooler and freezer temps for food safety).

On Thu, Dec 29, 2016 at 7:37 PM, <james at bertelson.me> wrote:

> On 2016-12-29 19:26, Michael C. Robinson wrote:
> > I'm trying to use it with my shiny new Raspberry Pi 3 2016 model B.
> > I'm running Debian Jessie, but it's called Raspbian.  Does anyone
> > know if a different driver is available for version 25.6
> > of the thermometer?  There is version 1.4, a driver exists for
> > that. Unfortunately, there are so many temper usb thermometers
> > that require different software.  I'm curious if the Raspberry
> > Pi can run apache and post temperature information to a web site?
> > How many thermometers can I hook up to the Raspberry Pi
> > simultaneously?  I don't have just power to think about, I have
> > to think about how much data the Raspberry Pi can deal with.
>
> The Pi 3 is a powerful little guy, really.  I've got one running
> BitTorrent Sync as a personal cloud, a Minecraft server, an RTLSDR that
> recieves data from a weather station and posts it to wunderground, Samba
> to share a 2TB drive attached to USB over my network, an openvpn server,
> a TOR wifi access point, and nginx (instead of Apache) all at the same
> time.
>
> That said, rather than fight with drivers, I'd suggest it will probably
> be easier to use a 3 wire temp sensor. They can be had for a buck or
> two, and plug into the I/O pins on the pi easily enough. Adafruit has
> sample code for most/all the sensors they sell, so that might be a good
> start.
>
> --
>    James Bertelson
>    james at bertelson.me
>    :wq

Chuck Hast  -- KP4DJT --
Glass, five thousand years of history and getting better.
The only container material that the USDA gives blanket approval on.