[PLUG] TEMPer v 25.6 Linux...

Chuck Hast wchast at gmail.com
Fri Dec 30 16:32:07 UTC 2016

That is interesting, I have two of them, one I use for demo's and to setup
for
data captures in places where I might want a bit of data on a location, and
the
other is just here at the house. The demo one lost the console the other
day,
and I am trying to figure out what did it perhaps it was too much 440 Mhz RF
from my Icom radio... I will have to check that out.

So are you using the sensor head and just decoding the packets as they are
sent? If so that is interesting because I am going to get the bad console
re-
placed but I have been thinking about trying to decode the data direct from
the sensor head as I have a location I want to set one up but it is remote
and
there is really not much need for the console if there is a way to capture
the
data off of the sensor head and use it that way.

Are you still using the RTL_433 as the radio?

On Thu, Dec 29, 2016 at 9:38 PM, <james at bertelson.me> wrote:

> On 2016-12-29 21:06, Chuck Hast wrote:
> > I use something called WeeWx, www.weewx.com for grabbing WX data off
> > of sensors, it is written in python and in fact the fellow that wrote
> > it I
> > believe
> > lives in the gorge somewhere.
> >
> > James are you using WeeWX?
> >
> > My station data can be seen on WU, APRS and CWOP.
> >
> > It can capture data from a whole bunch of sensors. You are probably
> > well off
> > to get the I2C based sensors, from what I can see you can get those at
> > good price and use the I2C bus to talk to them. I believe you can
> > string a
> > bunch of them on that bus as I believe that they are addressed.
> >
> > I have not worked with it yet, but I have started to look at it for
> > some
> > other
> > applications (cooler and freezer temps for food safety).

> >> The Pi 3 is a powerful little guy, really.  I've got one running
> >> BitTorrent Sync as a personal cloud, a Minecraft server, an RTLSDR
> >> that
> >> recieves data from a weather station and posts it to wunderground,
> >> Samba
> >> to share a 2TB drive attached to USB over my network, an openvpn
> >> server,
> >> a TOR wifi access point, and nginx (instead of Apache) all at the same
> >> time.
> >>
> >> That said, rather than fight with drivers, I'd suggest it will
> >> probably
> >> be easier to use a 3 wire temp sensor. They can be had for a buck or
> >> two, and plug into the I/O pins on the pi easily enough. Adafruit has
> >> sample code for most/all the sensors they sell, so that might be a
> >> good
> >> start.
> >>
> >> --
> >>    James Bertelson
> >>    james at bertelson.me
> >>    :wq
> >>

> At one point I used weewx with the acurite driver, but then the USB base
> that came with station went out (turns out it's super sensitive to RF
> and having it next to my HF rig blew it right out.)  I tried to continue
> using weewx, but had trouble getting the output from rtl_433 into
> something it could consume.  Found it to be easier to just setup a
> cron'ed script that grabs the latest updates from a sqlite database and
> push it to wunderground's API.
>
> I keep meaning to post the whole thing to github, but I need to clean it
> up a bit first (and strip out credentials, etc.)
>
> Also, +1 to the i2c recommendation.  My baro pressure sensor uses i2c,
> and it was pretty easy to set up. It also happens to have a temp sensor
> in it so I can log indoor temps, too.
>
> 73s de k7nrd
>
> --
>    James Bertelson
>    james at bertelson.me
>    :wq

Chuck Hast  -- KP4DJT --
Glass, five thousand years of history and getting better.
The only container material that the USDA gives blanket approval on.