[PLUG] Renaming files at the command line

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Wed Feb 3 22:43:24 UTC 2016

I frequently have a dozen or so screenshots taken with VLC. The files
are in the format like this:

vlcsnap-2016-02-03-14h28m24s290

I wish to rename all the files in the folder that start with 'vlcsnap'
to <some_keyword>#, where # is an incremental number starting with 0
for the first one and incrementing for each one. The files appear in
chronological order, and that is how I want them numbered. It is
important that they be numbered in chronological order. But once they
are renumbered I don't want the cumbersome time stamp on each file. In
other words, using the above file as an example, and assuming that it
is the first in the series, I want to rename it to to:

Keyword0

At this time I am renaming them individually one at a time. But I
suspect that I can automate the process with the command line, saving
myself a lot of tedious work. I could use some suggestions for how to
go about this.