[PLUG] Connecting to PSU wifi with linux

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Fri Feb 5 23:32:36 UTC 2016

> PSU Guest wifi access:  http://wiki.keithl.com/Mordac

On Fri, Feb 05, 2016 at 01:38:46PM -0800, Russell Senior wrote:
> FWIW, PSU Guest also doesn't work on OSX, so it is not just a Linux thing.

The hurtdesk folk told me they did support Mac.  Perhaps I
should find someone with a windoze laptop, and see whether
PSU actually supports guest access for anyone.  I edited
the webpage, and Mac users join the loathsome untouchables.

Bouzouki music, and a long list of operating systems not
supported would be amusing ( Venezuelan Beaver Standard
Distribution? ), but I take no responsibility for the
senseless waste of human life that might result.

> Your workaround worked great for me last night.  I'm curious how you
> stumbled on this somewhat obscure solution.

How did I figure this out?  The "dhclient -r" was a frob
attempted by the Smith Center helpdesk.  The rest of it was
trial and error, hours of trying different things, including
different laptops, different linux versions, different wifi
cards, different places at PSU, power cycling, battery removal.

Some steps may be unnecessary.  Please experiment further.

Keith

Keith Lofstrom          keithl at keithl.com