[PLUG] File won't stay deleted

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Wed Feb 10 22:45:05 UTC 2016

On Wed, 10 Feb 2016 11:58:06 -0800
John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> dijo:

>But having said all that, I believe have solved the problem. I also
>posted about this on the Ubuntu General forum, and a kind soul
>suggested deleting it in Thunar using Shift-Delete instead of
>right-clicking on it and selecting Delete. I did so at about 8 am
>today and so far it has remained deleted. (Crossing fingers.) I have
>no idea what Shift-Delete does that ordinary delete actions do not.

I spoke too soon. I was away for a couple of hours and when I returned
the file was back.

I had another suggestion from the Ubuntu forum that I didn't try
because the Shift-Delete solution seemed easier. This person suggested:

	shred -vzu /path/to/file

The man page for shred seemed pretty straightforward, so I did it. The
command executed in four passes, and the file is once again gone. We
shall see.