[PLUG] Tool to test internet speed

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Wed Feb 17 04:18:35 UTC 2016

On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 14:53:30 -0800
Jim Garrison <jhg at jhmg.net> dijo:

>But you should disable all other bandwidth-consuming processes
>in order to get an actual performance figure.  Also remember the
>speed of any connection depends not on your speed but the speed
>of the slowest segment between you and the remote end.

OK, this evening I have been doing some experimenting. I started by
just using Speedtest again, as I did this morning, with everything
still running. The results were the same as this morning, e.g.:

	down	up
	58.35	6.30

Then I shut down Ktorrent and ran Speedtest a few times more:

	58.63	6.31
	58.80	6.38
	56.81	6.37

Then I shut down everything and restarted the computer. With Firefox as
the only thing running (Speedtest is web-based), the results were:

	58.74	6.41

This leaves my desktop computer as the only other device that could be
using bandwidth, so I shut it down. The results were:

	58.58	6.31

And then I restarted the desktop, opened Firefox, and used
Speedtest.net on the desktop. Same results:

	58.54	6.25

Through all these tests I sometimes pointed Speedtest at different
servers, including even servers in Europe, but there was no appreciable
change in the performance.

And to repeat, I am paying Comcast for Performance-75 service, which is
supposed to give me 50-75 Mbps down and 25 Mbps up. And until a
couple weeks ago I used to see upload speeds of around 25 Mbps.

Any suggestions for what I should do next?