[PLUG] Tool to test internet speed

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Wed Feb 17 05:13:12 UTC 2016

On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 20:43:43 -0800
Jim Garrison <jhg at jhmg.net> dijo:

>On 2/16/2016 8:39 PM, Jim Garrison wrote:
>> On 2/16/2016 8:18 PM, John Jason Jordan wrote:
>>> And to repeat, I am paying Comcast for Performance-75 service,
>>> which is supposed to give me 50-75 Mbps down and 25 Mbps up. And
>>> until a couple weeks ago I used to see upload speeds of around 25
>>> Mbps.
>>
>> Hmmm... I've never seen any Comcast service that offers 25Mbps
>> upload. In fact the plan descriptions list only download speeds and
>> not upload. They seem to have scrubbed the website of any mention of
>> upload speed. Maybe that is so they can mess with upload speeds at
>> will and not have to tell you?
>>
>> I'd suggest that if rebooting the modem doesn't fix the problem it's
>> time for a chat with Comcast support.  Yes, I know a root canal
>> without anaesthetic would be less painful.  Sorry.
>>

>Just FYI, my account page says I have "Pro 75" service.  I just tested
>and got 89 Mbps down and 6.1 Mbps up, which is what I've been seeing
>consistently since the last bump a few months ago.

Thanks for the observations.

I did call them this morning, mostly to bitch about my bill, where they
had added $2 per month because I was not using the Cable TV box that
they sent me six months ago. During the conversation I asked what
service I had and they said 'Performance-75.' I asked what speed that
entitled me to and they said 50-75 Mbps down and 25 Mbps up.

I don't usually need the full 25 Mbps up, but when I have just
downloaded the latest Ubuntus via torrent the uploads reach that
quickly, and I seed forever. I have definitely seen Ktorrent list the
total upload speed at 3 MBps (Ktorrent switches Mbps to MBps when
over 1024 Mbps).

Considering that your test results are similar to mine, I wonder if
Comcast is doing the same thing to both of us. Also, the paranoid part
of my brain remembers when Comcast was shaping traffic to discourage
torrents. Makes me wonder.