[PLUG] TONIGHT PLUG Advanced Topics: Linux as a security camera monitoring platform

Daniel Hedlund daniel at digitree.org
Wed Feb 17 08:03:44 UTC 2016

On Feb 16, 2016 11:15, "Michael Dexter" <dexter at ambidexter.com> wrote:

> This problem set is normally solved in a business environment by
> purchasing expensive (and frequently proprietary) security camera
> systems at a significant cost. However, it's possible to accomplish all
> of these things with a Linux-based application called ZoneMinder.

I wasn't able to attend the meeting, but came across an article published a
few days ago about why you should never ever ever trust cheap (or possibly
even expensive) off the shelf proprietary solutions and put them on your
local network.  I am befuddled at how easy and obvious it was to hack this
CCTV DVR, and it was even hardcoded to send photos to an email address in
China on a regular basis.
https://www.pentestpartners.com/blog/pwning-cctv-cameras/