[PLUG] Tool to test internet speed

wes plug at the-wes.com
Wed Feb 17 20:11:36 UTC 2016

On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 11:08 AM, John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net>
wrote:

> On Wed, 17 Feb 2016 10:40:22 -0800
> Michael Rasmussen <michael at jamhome.us> dijo:
>
> >On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 10:20:38AM -0800, John Jason Jordan wrote:
> I have not called the technical support people yet. I dread the call.
> 'What version of Windows do you have? And on and on. Bah. And the most
> annoying part is that their job is to convince you that the problem is
> on your end.

The first thing they're going to say is that it's your modem, since you
bought it yourself instead of paying them monthly for it.

I have a comcast-provided modem I'm not using if you'd like to try it out
at your location as a test. I got it when I was staying elsewhere
temporarily and just haven't returned it yet.

BTW, around 80% of the time, the problem IS on your end. I wish there was a
way to skip the nonsense for non-idiots. A secret number, or code we can
enter, or password we can say to the computer system to get us straight to
someone with a clue....

https://xkcd.com/806/

I actually came up with this idea independently back when I worked tech
support for Pacifier internet in 2000. I called it "Tier 1.5" - no extra
pay or access to things, but in exchange for having a clue and being able
to actually fix problems, we should get to not have to deal with walking
people through setting up their email in baby steps. No one listens :(

-wes