[PLUG] Folder creation/renaming quandary

David dafr+plug at dafr.us
Wed Feb 24 21:38:38 UTC 2016

On 02/24/2016 01:28 PM, Dick Steffens wrote:
> On 02/24/2016 01:18 PM, Denis Heidtmann wrote:
>> On Wed, Feb 24, 2016 at 12:28 PM, Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com>
>> wrote:
>>>      In linux and other unices everything is a file. Ergo, you cannot have
>>> directories and individual files with the same name.
>>>
>>>    "...cannot have ... individual files with the same name." in the same
>> directory.  But what directory is the directory in?
>>
>> I just created a file named Desktop in the folder Desktop.
>
> And I have files with spaces in the names.

Spaces work fine if you escape them, but when it comes to scripting
things to manipulate files and such and working from the command line,
it makes escaping the space very, very challenging if not impossible. As
such, the use of a space (and special characters such as the funky 1/2
being used) is generally *highly* discouraged.

If you are willing to use these characters you welcome to do so, but
please don't complain when those characters break things for you in the
future.

dafr