[PLUG] Folder creation/renaming quandary

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Wed Feb 24 22:14:59 UTC 2016

On Wed, 24 Feb 2016 13:32:40 -0800
David <dafr+plug at dafr.us> dijo:

>On 02/24/2016 01:31 PM, Rich Shepard wrote:
>> On Wed, 24 Feb 2016, Denis Heidtmann wrote:
>>
>>> I just created a file named Desktop in the folder Desktop.
>>
>> Denis,
>>
>>     Interesting. I didn't know it could be done.
>
>The directory and file may not be at the same level, but they may be
>nested without issues.

But I continued to get the same error message even after I renamed the
file. Thus, the file and directory name were different. And Catfish
said that no file with the same name as the folder existed.

Regarding spaces and scripts, I have only a couple very short scripts
that I use, and they do not access files or folders with spaces in
them. Furthermore, I usually use Gnome terminal, which happily
automatically escapes all spaces in files that I copy and paste into
it. I would say that the majority of files that I create have spaces in
them, and I never have a problem.

As for the 'funky' ½ character, that is a valid codepoint in UTF-8. Is
Xubuntu or ext4 not UTF-8 compliant? I use far 'funkier' characters in
filenames all the time when I need a transcription in IPA.

Considering that the error messages that Thunar and Gnome terminal are
giving me say 'the *file* already exists' leads me to conclude that
somehow the filesystem thinks I am creating a file rather than a folder.
Moreover, the file that it thinks exists does not actually exist.