[PLUG] Optical drive driving me crazy

Steve Dum dr.doom at frontier.com
Sat Jan 2 08:01:34 UTC 2016

John,
Rebooting showed that it wasn't a hardware problem.
It could be a kernel bug, or other software problem.
Next time it occurs,... things that might help...
I suspect the need is to find what app still has an open file on that
filesystem. Id use lsof, to weed the noise try the following -- run as
root -- of course,,
lsof |grep sr0
and grep for a path beginning with the mount point. the grep should
reduce most of the noise.

THe previous suggestion of using 'umount -l' or 'umount -f' might solve
the issue, theoretically the -l
essentially goes into the kernel and force all the open files on that
mounted system to be closed. It's use has always been iffy for me.  I
think this is such a seldom used edge case, that it just isn't well tested.

And of course, since there are so many different ways to eject the
drive, try to remember which way was used right before something funny
started happening. That tool might have a software bug in the version
you have.

I think lsof, with some greps is the best way to find what's happening.
Killing the culpret removes the issue, but if whatever you killed has
bad error recovery, it may decide that device is bad, and just refuse to
use it anymore - that is until a system reboot cleans up everything.

steve