[PLUG] I'm going to build a laptop..

Mark Phillips mark at phillipsmarketing.biz
Sat Jan 2 16:04:24 UTC 2016

I think building a laptop from scratch is not very rewarding in that you
end up with a heavy, chunky, and not very portable computer.

If you really want a portable computer (ie laptop), then I suggest buying a
used laptop and then cleaning it out (ie disassemble it...sort of like
building your own), replacing the hard drive, upgrading the memory, maybe
replace the heat sink for the CPU or depending on the model replace the
CPU, and installing Linux. This will leave you with some older hardware,
however. This is one of many sites with info on the compatibly of Linux and
laptops - http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/. I would suggest shopping
Craig's List for the model that meets your needs for a laptop.

If you want a new laptop with more speed/power, then I recommend System 76 (
https://system76.com/). They come with Ubuntu installed, but you can get
them with almost any distro you want.

If you really want to DIY and build a computer, then build a desktop/tower.
There are lots of parts, cases, etc available for this type of project. You
can spend as little or as much as you want to spend and get exactly the
system you spec out.

Have fun!

Mark