[PLUG] Dual Monitor Mint 17.1 Compiz question

Ken Eshelby eshelbyk at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 00:35:39 UTC 2016

I've found that the older kernels that Mint uses (even Mint 17.3 on 3.13 or
3.16) aren't usually modern enough to handle Intel onboard graphics
hardware, but I don't know where the HD 3000 hardware fits into that
compatibility timeline.  Maybe a kernel upgrade will ease the hardware
issue.  This was the case recently for a newer Braswell chip using HD
6000.  Went to a 4.2 or 4.3 kernel and it came right up with Ubuntu.

The other thing I've done in the past is use Mint with XFCE.  It played
well when I was using dual monitors (from around Mint 13 to ~17), but I've
since gone from two Samsung 204Bs to a larger single monitor (refurb ASUS
PB278Q 27" from amazon for about $300). Uses less energy and is a simpler
setup, though it may require more powerful graphics hardware to drive.

--
Ken

PGP Key Fingerprint
7F29 C36C 4607 8C14 C82D  5DEA 1C1D F5D9 DBA0 F9AF