[PLUG] Optical drive failure?

Dale Snell ddsnell at frontier.com
Fri Jan 8 04:17:47 UTC 2016

On Thu, 7 Jan 2016 18:33:30 -0800, in message
20160107183330.01ccb158 at Devil-Bonobo, John Jason Jordan wrote:

> Lately programs complain that they can't read the media in the
> Bluray drive in my laptop. Dmesg reports hundreds of errors like the
> following:
>
> [551454.265635] end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 1412
> [551454.265638] Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 353
>
> The errors are so thick that I can't even play a movie now, yet the
> problems started quite suddenly - last week it was working fine.
>
> The drive is just a little over two years old, and has had moderate
> use. It has rarely been used with Bluray media; mostly just ordinary
> DVDs. It's a Matshita BD-MLT UJ260AF.
>
> I inspected it with a magnifying glass and I didn't see anything
> obviously wrong, but then, I have no idea what to look for.
>
> Before I take it out of the computer and buy a replacement, I thought
> I'd ask for suggestions.

Those certainly look like hardware failures to me.  Before
replacing the drive, though, there are a couple of things you can
try.  One, the drive's SATA cable might be defective.  Try
replacing it with a known good one.  Two, the computer's SATA
controller might have gone bad.  Try using a different port.  If
neither of those work, I would guess that the drive itself has
gone bad.

Hope this helps.

--Dale

--