[PLUG] Optical drive failure?

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sat Jan 9 02:01:41 UTC 2016

On Fri, 08 Jan 2016 16:29:02 -0800
"John Meissen" <john at meissen.org> dijo:

>Are you sure it's not just dirty?
>
>I used to have a special "cleaning" CD that had a a little brush that
>would wipe the optics as it spun. I don't know if they still make
>those. You could try compressed air...

The very first thing I did was inspect it with a magnifying glass. It
looked spotless. After the above comment I used a can of compressed air
on it, especially the two little glass-like bulby-looking things. Still
can't read a DVD without massive errors. But, oddly, it reads CDs just
fine, no errors at all, at least the two I tried, and it did so earlier
today, before the compressed air therapy.