[PLUG] Cannot get to printer

Joe Shisei Niski joeniski at gmail.com
Sun Jul 3 03:57:05 UTC 2016

On 07/02/2016 08:26 PM, Denis Heidtmann wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 2, 2016 at 7:59 PM, John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net>
> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 2 Jul 2016 16:25:19 -0700
>> Denis Heidtmann <denis.heidtmann at gmail.com> dijo:
>>
>> There is a command line way to stop and start cups, but I can't
>> remember the syntax.
>
> That is what I did:
> sudo systemctl stop cups.service: no messages in response.
>
> sudo systemctl restart cups.service.  Msg:
> "failed to restart cups.service: unit cups.service is masked"
>
> Meaning of "masked": "Completely disabled, so that any start operation on
> fails (permanently in /etc/systemd/system/ or transiently in
> /run/systemd/systemd/"
>
> What makes this even more of a mystery than other stuff that I cannot
> figure out is that it did work just a few days ago.  I think Ubuntu is
> breaking stuff, for example my problems with networking when restoring
> after sleep that I reported a week or so ago.
>
> -Denis
re: Ubuntu breaking stuff: it happens, to the extent that the Ubuntu
long term releases don't notify users of their availability via the
Software & Updates utility until the first bug-squash release roughly 3
months after the LTS release. Itchy as I am to get the latest, I'm
biding my time in the hope of saving time