[PLUG] Cannot get to printer

Denis Heidtmann denis.heidtmann at gmail.com
Mon Jul 4 22:56:34 UTC 2016

Well, after much fussing without any progress, I used Synaptic to install
cups.  Now before you say "duhhhhh", let me explain.  Synaptic lists many
cup-<somethings> . cups is described as the scheduler, and not installed.
But it also lists it as conflicts with cups.  What sense does that make?
Anyway, no change was observed after the install.  So I shut down and wrote
some notes.  Booted back up and Bingo!  The printer was magically present
without any hesitation.  Incidentally I also upgraded a dozen or so
packages.

So what is this scheduler stuff?  What is this conflicts with cups?  Any
ideas on how it went away (other than operator error)?

Thanks to all those who tried to help.  And apologies to those whose
reading time was taken up by this saga.

-Denis