[PLUG] NAS System suggestions

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Fri Jul 8 22:47:45 UTC 2016

On Fri, 24 Jun 2016 13:38:47 -0700
wes <plug at the-wes.com> dijo:

>> Whichever of these is the easiest is the one I want. :)
>>
>> Ideally the contents of the drive would be visible in a Thunar window
>> so I can just drag and drop files the same as I do with my current
>> USB 3.0 external drive. It would make my life a lot easier if I
>> don't have to access the drive from a separate FTP program or web
>> browser.

>This is exactly how SMB works. Thunar probably has a "connect to
>another computer" or similarly-worded option somewhere. This is what
>you'll use the first time. Then you can create a shortcut on your
>desktop and just not worry about it any more. At least, not til your
>router assigns the device a new IP address.

The Red Pro drive and the Synology arrove this morning. I installed the
drive, hooked up the power and ethernet and all seems well, except for
connectivity.

The Netgear R6250 sees it and assigned it 192.168.0.101. The Synology
has a power light and four green lights - Disk 1, Disk 2, LAN and
Status. The LAN light is blinking and the others are solid, except for
Disk 2, since I installed only one 6TB disk.

The Synology came with a single printed sheet for instructions. Brief,
but adequate to get it put together. At the end it says to go to
http://findsynology.com, which brings up a web-based configuration
utility. I got through it OK (enabled SMB and NSF, not the others), but
must have missed a step, since I can't figure out how to put files on
it.

Thunar displays a panel on the left which shows devices. If a device is
not yet mounted it appears grayed out. The Synology does not appear at
all. Poking around in Thunar I found Go > Browse Network, which
displays DISKSTATION, R6250, Synology, and Windows Network. None has
the folder icon; they look like text files, and all are 0 bytes. I
tried clicking on them and got a 'permission denied' message.
Right-clicking on Properties I see that they are owned by root:root.

I'm probably pretty close, but need help figuring out the rest.

Also, I have no idea how the disk is formatted, or even if it is
formatted at all.