[PLUG] NAS System suggestions

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sat Jul 9 01:03:11 UTC 2016

On Fri, 8 Jul 2016 15:47:45 -0700
John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> dijo:

>I'm probably pretty close, but need help figuring out the rest.

Success! I was missing the Sharing stuff in the web-based setup utility.

>Also, I have no idea how the disk is formatted, or even if it is
>formatted at all.

I'd still like to know this, and before I start putting stuff on the
drive. I know that it is formatted because I can now drag and drop
files to it. I assume that Western Digital shipped the drive
unformatted, so that means that the Synology setup utility must have
formatted it. I pored through everything in the Setup utility looking
for what filesystem it used, but without success. I did find disk
information, including size, S.M.A.R.T. information, usage, and even
the WD serial number, but not a word about the filesystem. Any
suggestions, short of taking the disk out of the Synology and attaching
it to my desktop computer where I can use Gparted or something?