[PLUG] NAS System suggestions

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sat Jul 9 13:07:52 UTC 2016

On Fri, 8 Jul 2016, John Jason Jordan wrote:

> For my next exercise I am going to see if I can set up rsync to keep the
> contents of my external USB 3.0 drive synced with the Synology. I have
> never figured out rsync, so I am going to start a new thread.

John,

   Probably the only rsync options you need are -avz (archive, verbose,
compress the transfer). That's what I use for my daily dirvish backups and
when synchronizing subdirectories on my laptop with those on my workstation.

   Many years ago Paul Heinlein taught me to be very careful of the one
potential gotcha': how the destination directory is specified. It's well
explained in the man page, but you gotta' pay attention while reading it.
Using the man page examples:

 	rsync -avz *.c foo:src/

        This would transfer all files matching the pattern *.c from the
        current directory to the directory src on the machine foo. If any of
        the files already exist on the remote system then the rsync
        remote-update protocol is used to update the file by sending only the
        differences.

   This is most likely what you want to specify in your shell script. In your
case it might be something like

 	rsync -avz /path/to/source/directory <nas>:/path/to/destination/

   Terminating slash required.

   If, for example, you're using your NAS partition as the source and your
workstation as the destination and use

 	rsync -avz foo:src/bar /data/tmp
or
 	rwync -avz <nas>:/path/to/source /path/to/destination

your destination will contain the files in /path/to/destination/source

Happy transferring,