[PLUG] Rsync to a NAS drive

Dale Snell ddsnell at frontier.com
Sat Jul 9 18:34:00 UTC 2016

On Sat, 9 Jul 2016 11:00:17 -0700, in message
20160709110017.3280e2bf at Devil-Bonobo, John Jason Jordan wrote:

> I can see I'm going to have to spend a lot of time studying rsync. But
> for starters I decided to use cp to see if I know how to specify the
> destination. Thunar displays a window with files in the destination
> and at the top of the window is a location bar. It says
> 'smb://synology.local/synology/.' So from the command line in the
> directory where the USB drive is mounted I did
>
> cp <a small file> smb://synology.local/synology/
> cp: cannot create regular file ‘smb://synology.local/synology/’: No
> such file or directory
>
> I also tried it without the trailing slash and again with a slash
> in front and got the same results. Then I tried adding http:// in
> front, but still no joy. For my last effort I specified the
> destination by the ip address of the Synology (192.168.0.101), and
> this time I got no error message, but it also failed to copy the
> file. However, when I added a slash in front of the ip address I got
> 'cp: cannot create regular file ‘/192.168.0.101’: Permission denied.'
> This reminds me that before Thunar would show the contents of the
> Synology I had to log into the share.
>
> I'm out of ideas. Suggestions?

cp does not understand remote copying, which is what you're trying
to do here.  You'll need to use scp, assuming that ssh is in the
Synology's software suite.  If it is, and you don't have them,
you'll need to generate a set of keys.  It's not hard, but I never
remember how to do it.  The man pages are complete, but rather
dry.  In fact, they're downright desiccated.

Anyway, I hope this helps.

--Dale

--
Excess on occasion is exhilarating.  It prevents moderation from
acquiring the deadening effect of a habit.