[PLUG] Slackware-14.2

King Beowulf kingbeowulf at gmail.com
Sat Jul 9 21:33:57 UTC 2016

On 07/08/2016 02:28 PM, Rich Shepard wrote:
>    Pat and crew released Slackware-14.2 last week (1 July). For those of us
> with supporting subscriptions, the disks are in production and will be
> shipped toward the end of the month. This is the penultimate release that
> will be available on CDs as well as on a DVD.
>
> Patience, grasshopper,
>
> Rich

The Slackware community is celebrating this stellar release of the
oldest, most stable and most functional of all Linux distributions.

I've already updated since I volunteer on Slackbuilds.org for a number
of software packages and needed to perform testing. Sometimes a VM just
isn't good enough!  I purchased some clothing swag at
store.slackware.com to celebrate (needed a new cap to keep the sun off
the ol' balding noggin...).  Most of my installs go via USB thumb drive
or PXE/NFS these days but DVD iso and torrents can be accessed via the
announcement:
http://www.slackware.com/

So far so good.  Plug and play, ready of the desktop:
1. MSI MS-N033 (U123) atom netbook (x86)
2. ASUS x200CA notebook w/ bluetooth (x86_64)
3. Dell Latitude e7440 (x86-64)
4. custom desktop (MSI X99 i7-5820k, GTX660, 16GB RAM, 2TB HD)
5. HP Intel P4 server vintage 2000 - pending. lots of security
customization since it is open to the World.  Slackware is one of the
best distros if you need to set up a hardened system and/or server.

For the curious, you can now test drive Slackware-14.2 Live:
http://bear.alienbase.nl/mirrors/slackware/slackware-live/

gory source details here:
http://bear.alienbase.nl/mirrors/people/alien/liveslak/

Just burn the iso to a DVD, or consult the documentation to make a
bootable USB stick:
http://docs.slackware.com/slackware:liveslak

Slackware ships with the classic desktops: KDE, Xfce, fluxbox, blackbox,
windowmaker, fvwm, and tbm

The Slackware community as added Live edition desktop versions for Mate
and Plasma5, as well as a Xfce edition that fits onto a 1GB USB stick.

If you are getting tired of the shenanigans in the Debian derived world,
give Slackware a try. You will be glad you did.

-Ed