[PLUG] Rsync user confusion: Who is user 1026?

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Mon Jul 11 17:34:04 UTC 2016

On Sun, 10 Jul 2016 23:02:13 -0700
Bill Barry <bill at billbarry.org> dijo:

>On Sun, Jul 10, 2016 at 10:42 PM, John Jason Jordan
><johnxj at comcast.net> wrote:
>> I have discovered something that I should have noticed a long time
>> ago, that is, that the entire drive is owned by root. That would
>> explain the fact that   the -o --owner and -g --group options are
>> not working in rsync, leaving the owner of the files the mysterious
>> user 1026. (I'm betting user 1026 is root on my Xubuntu.) "And why
>> is the drive owned by root?" you ask. That is because the only way I
>> could mount it was with sudo.

>The problem is not quite that the entire drive is owned by root. The
>underlying problem is that you are trying to rsync to a windows type
>file system. Or probably more correctly what is presented to you as a
>windows file system.  This will prevent you from correctly preserving
>owners and groups and such because windows has a different notion of
>such things.   If you want to preserve those file attributes, you
>would be better off mounting the drive as an NFS drive if the Synology
>allows for that.

The Synology does provide NFS and, in fact, in my initial setup with
the DiskStation Manager utility I enabled both SMB and NFS.

Now the question is how to mount it with NFS instead of SMB. I scoured
the DiskStation Manager Help and didn't find a word about how to mount
the share with NFS, just lots of stuff about setting permissions. I
suppose that is because mount commands probably vary from OS to OS.

This is the command that mounts it with SMB:

sudo mount.cifs //synology.local/synology/ /media/jjj/Synology/
	--verbose -o user=jjj

I assume I have to change either 'mount.cifs' or
'//synology.local/synology/. So far Google hasn't been much help.