[PLUG] Rsync user confusion: Who is user 1026?

Don Buchholz buchholz at easystreet.net
Mon Jul 11 17:54:40 UTC 2016

On 7/11/2016 10:34 AM, John Jason Jordan wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Jul 2016 23:02:13 -0700
> Bill Barry <bill at billbarry.org> dijo:
>
>> On Sun, Jul 10, 2016 at 10:42 PM, John Jason Jordan
>> <johnxj at comcast.net> wrote:
>>> I have discovered something that I should have noticed a long time
>>> ago, that is, that the entire drive is owned by root. That would
>>> explain the fact that   the -o --owner and -g --group options are
>>> not working in rsync, leaving the owner of the files the mysterious
>>> user 1026. (I'm betting user 1026 is root on my Xubuntu.) "And why
>>> is the drive owned by root?" you ask. That is because the only way I
>>> could mount it was with sudo.
>> The problem is not quite that the entire drive is owned by root. The
>> underlying problem is that you are trying to rsync to a windows type
>> file system. Or probably more correctly what is presented to you as a
>> windows file system.  This will prevent you from correctly preserving
>> owners and groups and such because windows has a different notion of
>> such things.   If you want to preserve those file attributes, you
>> would be better off mounting the drive as an NFS drive if the Synology
>> allows for that.
> The Synology does provide NFS and, in fact, in my initial setup with
> the DiskStation Manager utility I enabled both SMB and NFS.
>
> Now the question is how to mount it with NFS instead of SMB. I scoured
> the DiskStation Manager Help and didn't find a word about how to mount
> the share with NFS, just lots of stuff about setting permissions. I
> suppose that is because mount commands probably vary from OS to OS.
>
> This is the command that mounts it with SMB:
>
> sudo mount.cifs //synology.local/synology/ /media/jjj/Synology/
> 	--verbose -o user=jjj
>
> I assume I have to change either 'mount.cifs' or
> '//synology.local/synology/. So far Google hasn't been much help.
Based on your 'mount.cifs' command ...

     sudo mount -t nfs synology.local:/synology /media/jjj/Synology

To auto-magically mount at boot time ... put this In the /etc/fstab (see
"man fstab").

     synology.local:/synology      /media/jjj/Synology nfs
auto,defaults  0  0

         column#1:  -->  hostname:/path/on/server
         column#2:  -->  local mount point
         column#3:  -->  filesystem type (in this case "nfs")
         column#4:  -->  mount options:
                              "auto" -->  mount at system boot time
                              "defaults"  --> just use the normal default
                                              options for thefilesytems type
                                              being mounted ...
         column#5:  --> used for the dump(8) backup program. Leave
                        it as "0" ...

         column#6:  --> As the system boots, local filesystems may be
checked for
                        consistency/integrity.  This really doesn't
apply to remote
                        (CIFS or NFS) filesystems.  Leave it as "0" ...