[PLUG] Rsync user confusion: Who is user 1026?

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Mon Jul 11 19:30:45 UTC 2016

On Mon, 11 Jul 2016 10:54:40 -0700
Don Buchholz <buchholz at easystreet.net> dijo:

>> This is the command that mounts it with SMB:
>>
>> sudo mount.cifs //synology.local/synology/ /media/jjj/Synology/
>> 	--verbose -o user=jjj
>>
>> I assume I have to change either 'mount.cifs' or
>> '//synology.local/synology/. So far Google hasn't been much help.

>Based on your 'mount.cifs' command ...
>
>     sudo mount -t nfs synology.local:/synology /media/jjj/Synology

jjj at Devil-Bonobo:/media/jjj$ mount -t nfs
	synology.local:/synology /media/jjj/Synology
mount: only root can do	that
jjj at Devil-Bonobo:/media/jjj$ sudo su
root at Devil-Bonobo:/media/jjj# mount -t nfs
	synology.local:/synology /media/jjj/Synology
mount.nfs: access denied by server while mounting
	synology.local:/synology

I should add that in the Synology DiskStation Manager under NFS I have
set up permissions for 192.168.0.126 (my laptop) and 192.168.0.146 (my
desktop). The permissions are read/write, no mapping, asynchronous,
non-privileged: denied, cross-mount: allowed.

Also, I am very familiar with the 'access denied by server' message.
Some months ago I set up a share on my laptop so my desktop could
connect to it. After days of fussing with NFS and countless posts here I
gave up and went back to sneakernet.

>To auto-magically mount at boot time ... put this In the /etc/fstab
>(see "man fstab").
>
>     synology.local:/synology      /media/jjj/Synology nfs
>auto,defaults  0  0

I changed my fstab entry to the above. However, doesn't 'defaults' mean
'nouser'?