[PLUG] Rsync user confusion: Who is user 1026?

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Tue Jul 12 00:37:46 UTC 2016

On Mon, 11 Jul 2016 18:04:41 -0500
David Fleck <david.fleck at mchsi.com> dijo:

>Forgive me if somebody has already posted this link:
>https://www.synology.com/en-us/knowledgebase/DSM/tutorial/File_Sharing/How_to_access_files_on_Synology_NAS_within_the_local_network_NFS
>
>Perhaps there is something in there that will clear up what the
>configuration issue is.

Thank you, I had not yet found that.

I read through the whole thing and followed the instructions to the
letter, but I still get 'access denied by server.'

I should add that their instructions say the mount command should be
(copied and pasted):

	mount [Synology NAS IP address] : [mount path of shared
	folder] / [mount point on NFS client]

Thus my command should be

	mount 192.168.0.101:Synology / /media/jjj/Synology

Note the extra / between the source and the destination. If I add it
the mount command fails completely and displays help information. The
extra / can't be right.

And when I try it without the extra / it generates 'only root can do
that.' If I preface it with sudo or do sudo su to root, then I get
'access denied by server.'

At the very end of the instructions it says "Can't mount the shared
folder? The user account you enter here must have access privileges for
the shared folder that you wish to map." I'm not sure where 'here' is,
the NAS or my command line? In any event, when I initially set up the
NAS with the Synology DiskStation Manager it came with an admin and a
guest account and I added an account 'jjj.' I gave all of them every
permission I could find.

I recently discovered a user forum on Synology's website. My next
effort wll be to post my tale of woe there.