[PLUG] Wifi Compatibilty and Linux Distro's

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Jul 18 18:37:21 UTC 2016

On Mon, 18 Jul 2016, Charles Hill wrote:

> What wireless card works well “most” of the time with various distro’s? So
> far I know Realtek and Broadcom cards basically suck without mods and
> hacks.

Charles,

   For what it's worth, I've had few, if any, issues with Realtek or Broadcom
radios in laptops running Slackware. I've found that a more powerful radio
in the Wireless Access Point is always a Good Thing, and when I've had
connectivity issues while traveling they're almost always caused by poorly
configured or mis-configured WAPs and servers running some flavor of M$'s
windows. In several cases (Melbourne, AU, comes to mind) the hotel's servers
just would not recognize anything coming from a linux system. (The tech was
quite helpful but was a puzzled as I was.)