[PLUG] How do I use a tablet WiFi hotspot for my desktop machine?

Russell Senior russell at personaltelco.net
Thu Jul 21 06:47:45 UTC 2016

>>>>> "Dick" == Dick Steffens <dick at dicksteffens.com> writes:

Dick> I may need to be without Comcast for a time. Is there a way to use
Dick> a tablet WiFi hotspot and a laptop to feed my router so I can
Dick> support two desktops?

Dick> We got a small tablet from Verizon before going on a trip in
Dick> June. It works well as a WiFi hotspot to connect our laptops. But
Dick> since our desktops don't have radios, I'm hoping there's a way to
Dick> make one of my laptops serve my router so I can continue to serve
Dick> our desktops. I assume I'll need to install and configure
Dick> something to be a DCHP server so the router can get an address
Dick> from the laptop.

Dick> To save on Verizon data usage, I probably won't leave the tablet
Dick> connected to Verizon all the time. Is there something I'll need to
Dick> do on the laptop so that it doesn't try to connect to the router
Dick> when the tablet is off? Or maybe I don't actually turn the tablet
Dick> off, but just disconnect it from Verizon.

Dick> Advice appreciated.

Yes, it's possible.  It's not totally simple, though there may be
off-the-shelf solutions too, but if you have an access point that is
supported by OpenWrt/LEDE that also has a USB host port (many modern
ones do), you can install kmod-usbnet and plug your USB dongle or USB
tethered phone into the access point's USB port, and away you go, wifi
and/or wired but with WAN provided over the USB connected device.

PTP has built such things before.  We had one at OSCON a few years ago,
as a party-trick.  Wifi is/was horrible in the exhibit hall, but it worked.

--
Russell Senior, President
russell at personaltelco.net