[PLUG] Keeping laptop connected to a specific WiFi hotspot

Dick Steffens dick at dicksteffens.com
Sat Jul 30 19:58:06 UTC 2016

On 07/29/2016 11:42 PM, Russell Senior wrote:
> NetworkManager has a way of "forgetting" a wireless network you have
> connected to before.  According to my brief research, try looking in:
>
>    /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/
>
> and look for a file that matches the network you don't want to connect
> to.  Either delete or move it from that directory.  You can also click a
> bunch of clicks to do the same thing, but I don't remember all the
> clicks or know how to describe them adequately.
>
> Let us know if that works.

Good progress. I found a few hotspot files in system-connections and
moved them up a level. Now, when the laptop loses it's connection with
the Verizon hotspot it doesn't try to connect to anything else. I don't
know why it loses that connection unless the hotspot times it out on no
activity or something.

The next problem is convincing the laptop to go ahead and use the
password it shows that it has when it goes to reconnect. Right now, when
I walk up to the laptop and find that it's disconnected, there is a
pop-up window waiting for me to click on the connect button. The
password is already filled in. I expect there's a setting somewhere to
fix that. I'm open to more whacks with the clue stick.

Thanks for all the assistance to date.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens