[PLUG] Wifi Compatibilty and Linux Distro's

Charles Hill crhpdx at gmail.com
Sat Jul 30 21:51:24 UTC 2016

Tomas and others,

To answer your question  the problem/performance still exists in various
forms.

Depending on the version and distro type based on Ubuntu, disconnects and
weak

signal still comes up.

I've updated the kernel made mod changes  to things like disabling power
saving, etc

Over all what happens even after making suggested configuration  changes,
the signal

strength degrades to the point where I have to reboot or disable and
re-enable the wireless

adapter.

As it turns out I was listening  to one of the podcasts on the
jupiterbroadcasting.com network

this week and the primary hosted reported that this known issue in Ubuntu
has now been fixed.

They rolled out 16.04.1??

The host ragged on Ubuntu for taking 3 months to get a fix out, the other
host didn't think it was that

big of a deal. IE- 16.04 was ready to build and ship get it out there fix
the bugs later...

I don't subscribed to the ship it now with a known bug especially when it's
wireless and patch it later.

On a laptop "Wireless" is a core function.. and if it's not stable it lends
to a miserable user experience.

Speaking of wireless and other distro issues, I was listening to the Linux
Mint  podcast today and

one of hosts was talking about Arch and his Broadcom wireless card having
issues in the past.

As it turns out the recent version of Arch he installed this time worked ok
with his Broadcom

card. He's into and moving to have all his laptops/desktops running a dual
boot of Linux Mint and

Arch as he wants to tinker and custom build his programming apps and
utilities under Arch.

On the Sunday Morning Linux podcast one of the hosts routinely runs into
issues with her

Broadcom wireless card and numerous Distros as they test drive and give
feedback on many

new and updated versions of distros.

 I find it interesting that there appears to be no "Open Wireless standard?
How long has wireless

been around in the consumer landscape? 15 plus years??

Maybe I'm missing something but consistent wireless functionality should be
ingrained/installed in every

Linux version/flavor.

 Why is that so difficult?

Charles