[PLUG] Wifi Compatibilty and Linux Distro's

Nat Taylor bioborg at gmail.com
Sun Jul 31 18:26:09 UTC 2016

DuckDuckGo told me this, here's the link for more too (
http://askubuntu.com/questions/635625/realtek-8723be-wifi-problem#635629 ):
Realtek 8723BE Wifi problem
<http://askubuntu.com/questions/635625/ddg#635629>

First of all remove the settings you made.

  sudo rm /etc/modprobe.d/rtl8723be.conf

If you do not have this file, nothing is wrong.

Then install a good driver

  sudo add-apt-repository ppa:hanipouspilot/rtlwifi
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install rtlwifi-new-dkms linux-firmware

Reboot and enjoy

If you still have problems, you may need to add an option:

  echo "options rtl8723be ant_sel=2" | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/rtl8723be.conf

then reboot again.

Expanation is made by chili555 in this answer
<http://askubuntu.com/a/729660/167850>.

This is the same driver as https://github.com/lwfinger/rtlwifi_new
<https://github.com/lwfinger/rtlwifi_new>, rock.new_btcoex branch but
packed as dkms.

You can see all that at
https://github.com/hanipouspilot/rtlwifi_new/tree/rock.new_btcoex

If you also need bluetooth working, run also:

  sudo apt-get install rtl8723au-bt-dkms linux-firmware

Note: Support for 4.2 kernels and Ubuntu 15.10 has been added to the PPA.
For kernel 4.2 the bluetooth driver should not be installed from the PPA.
There is already native support of the bluetooth adapter in kernel 4.2.

--Pilot6 <http://askubuntu.com/users/167850/ddg>