[PLUG] Wifi Compatibilty and Linux Distro's

Nat Taylor bioborg at gmail.com
Sun Jul 31 18:27:21 UTC 2016

whups, truncated,

up vote18down voteaccepted

First of all remove the settings you made.

sudo rm /etc/modprobe.d/rtl8723be.conf

If you do not have this file, nothing is wrong.

Then install a good driver

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:hanipouspilot/rtlwifi
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install rtlwifi-new-dkms linux-firmware

Reboot and enjoy

If you still have problems, you may need to add an option:

echo "options rtl8723be ant_sel=2"  | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/rtl8723be.conf

then reboot again.

Expanation is made by *chili555* in this answer
<http://askubuntu.com/a/729660/167850>.

This is the same driver as https://github.com/lwfinger/rtlwifi_new,
rock.new_btcoex branch but packed as dkms.

You can see all that at
https://github.com/hanipouspilot/rtlwifi_new/tree/rock.new_btcoex

If you also need bluetooth working, run also:

sudo apt-get install rtl8723au-bt-dkms linux-firmware

*Note:* Support for 4.2 kernels and Ubuntu 15.10 has been added to the PPA.
For kernel 4.2 the bluetooth driver should *not* be installed from the PPA.
There is already native support of the bluetooth adapter in kernel 4.2.

*Offline guide*

If you do not have any internet connection, you can download the package
using another computer, a phone, etc.

The package is HERE
<https://launchpad.net/~hanipouspilot/+archive/ubuntu/rtlwifi/+files/rtlwifi-new-dkms_0.10_all.deb>

You will also need DKMS installed. You can find the DKMS package for Ubuntu
16.04 HERE
<http://mirrors.kernel.org/ubuntu/pool/main/d/dkms/dkms_2.2.0.3-2ubuntu11_all.deb>

Copy these two files to the Ubuntu Home folder (~/) and run in terminal

sudo dpkg -i dkms*.deb rtlwifi*.deb

Then reboot.

*Important:* For new Ubuntu kernels installed on a system with Secure Boot
on UEFI, the unsigned kernel module may not load. In this case see THIS
ANSWER <http://askubuntu.com/a/762255/167850> to fix it.

Meanwile I will try to find a way how to sign the module in the PPA. There
is a way how to do it.
share <http://askubuntu.com/a/635629>improve this answer
<http://askubuntu.com/posts/635629/edit>
edited Jul 21 at 18:23 <http://askubuntu.com/posts/635629/revisions>