[PLUG] Kernel panic?

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Mon Jun 6 23:50:30 UTC 2016

For about the past three weeks I have had no problems with the new
drive, but today the computer locked up again. I powered it down and
restarted, then re-inserted the DVD into the drive. This time I could
not get the media to mount, so I tried to eject the disk. The drive
light was running constantly and it wouldn't eject the disk, so after
several minuted I unplugged the drive. The computer locked up again,
and this time I got flashing lights.

I have scoured the Ubuntu forums, but can't find anything.

This is the drive:  http://tinyurl.com/hq2wctd

It is connected by a USB 3.0 extension cable purchased from ENU.

I have a 4TB external USB 3.0 drive, and numerous USB 3.0 thumb drives
that have all worked perfectly for over a year. Even if I unplug one
when data is being written the worst that ever happens is that I get
corrupted data - never a kernel panic.

Might there be a problem with the drive or the extension cable? Any
other suggestions?