[PLUG] What version of Emacs do you use on MacOS (El Capitan)?

eehouse eehouse at eehouse.org
Tue Jun 14 00:19:54 UTC 2016

I'm a longtime Emacs user, but always on Linux. Now I'm using MacOS at
work for the first time (ok, since leaving Apple in '97 :-) and am
trying to use Emacs there to take advantage of all the time I've
invested learning it. Problem is: it sucks! It crashes at least three
time per day, and that in an environment where pretty much nothing
else crashes.  If I weren't so invested I'd have given up after the
first couple of days.

AFAICT, the version I'm using is official gnu. It identifies itself as
"Version 24.5 (9.0)" and has a url pointing to www.gnu.org. I'm using it
in the windowing environment, not a terminal -- which is a requirement.

I've heard people on this list describe themselves as happy with MacOS
as a compromise between the power/stability of a Unix-based system and
the familiarity (to others at least) of a consumer OS. Surely some of
you are using emacs. If so, where'd you get it, and what version?

Thanks,

--Eric