[PLUG] Fwd: lockup

Denis Heidtmann denis.heidtmann at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 18:43:59 UTC 2016

I have heard about that before, but I believe I had been using the machine
for a while immediately before the lockup, so I do not think the wireless
driver would have just started (or anything else associated with waking
after sleep).  But I will keep the idea in mind if/when I have another
lockup.  In the meantime I have run memory check (12 passes, no errors).
Next will be e2fsck--I did that already but I think I did not run it on the
main part of the drive.

I did notice that upon booting after the forced shutdown there were a
number of lines of messages which appeared prior to the login dialog, but
were too brief to read.  On normal boot, i.e., not following a forced
shutdown, two lines of messages appear.  I took a video to capture what
they said:
lvmetad is not active yet, using direct action during system init.
/dev/mapper/ubuntu--vg-root: clean, 238556/753... files, ....(more numbers)
blocks.

I will keep the video handy for the next incident to capture the messages.

Need to have some routine to exercise the graphics to see if I can cause
the failure.  If I cannot predict/reproduce the failure it seems that  it
will be nearly impossible to pin  down.

Thanks for your suggestion.

-Denis