[PLUG] NAS System suggestions

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Thu Jun 23 18:50:08 UTC 2016

On Wed, 22 Jun 2016 08:40:46 -0700
David Gibbons <david at dgibbons.net> dijo:

>I've been very happy with my Synology, replaced a home built Freenas
>and lost none of the features/functionality I was using in freenas.
>Less management overhead, lower power usage. A+++ Would buy again.

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

I am currently considering a Synology DS216j with one 6TB Western
Digital Red Pro drive (WD6002FFWX). The DS216j has two bays so I can
add a second drive later. The Red Pro drives have a five-year warranty
as opposed to a three-year warranty for the regular red drives. Both
Western Digital and Synology list this combination as compatible.

I assume the connection will be by NFS. That bothers me because I once
spent a month fiddling with my laptop and desktop computers trying to
get the desktop to mount a USB drive attached to the laptop. I never
succeeded.