[PLUG] NAS System suggestions

Michael Dexter dexter at ambidexter.com
Fri Jun 24 05:41:10 UTC 2016

On 6/22/16 9:52 AM, Vedanta Teacher wrote:
> This may or may not help... but ixsystems sells a FreeNAS Mimi
> with 4 bays for $999 @ https://www.ixsystems.com/freenas-mini/
> I've never used the FreeNAS OS myself .

Well, some of us have. In fact, I have been doing 3+ years of FreeNAS
support. Love or hate FreeNAS, it's the OpenZFS you want:

https://www.ixsystems.com/blog/openzfs-vs-the-competition/

Nothing comes close, and I base that statement on extensive research,
though I don't fully know what EMC does under the hood because it's
proprietary. No, not Btrfs. They borked the volume manager, have space
accounting issues and still think in terms of say, the fstab and fsck.
My favorite: Forget to tell Btrfs your data is compressed etc. and it
appears corrupt, until you remember you have to do that kind of thing
manually. XFS? Search for "XFS null files". They found ways to
(repeatedly) zero-out data in case of a panic, even with READ-ONLY
MOUNTS! How did they pull that off?

Anyway, watch for FreeNAS 10 and while you'll probably say the $999 plus
disks Mini is expensive, that's a solid piece of hardware for protecting
your data. ECC RAM, etc.

Michael