[PLUG] NAS System suggestions

wes plug at the-wes.com
Fri Jun 24 20:38:47 UTC 2016

On Fri, Jun 24, 2016 at 12:25 PM, John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net>
wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Jun 2016 15:23:02 -0700
> wes <plug at the-wes.com> dijo:
>
> >Most NAS devices support multiple protocols. NFS is relatively rare
> >these days. I would expect it to support SMB (Windows-style file
> >sharing) which is supported fairly ubiquitously.
>
> >From the Synology description/features sheet:
>
>         The Most Compatible Sharing
>         Enjoy seamless files sharing across Windows, Mac, and Linux
>         platforms as DS216j offers comprehensive network protocol
>         support including FTP, SMB2, AFP, NFS and WebDAV.
>
> Whichever of these is the easiest is the one I want. :)
>
> Ideally the contents of the drive would be visible in a Thunar window
> so I can just drag and drop files the same as I do with my current USB
> 3.0 external drive. It would make my life a lot easier if I don't have
> to access the drive from a separate FTP program or web browser.

This is exactly how SMB works. Thunar probably has a "connect to another
computer" or similarly-worded option somewhere. This is what you'll use the
first time. Then you can create a shortcut on your desktop and just not
worry about it any more. At least, not til your router assigns the device a
new IP address.

-wes