[PLUG] NAS System suggestions

Louis Kowolowski louisk at cryptomonkeys.org
Sun Jun 26 18:53:46 UTC 2016

On Jun 25, 2016, at 6:41 PM, Michael Rasmussen <michael at jamhome.us> wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 25, 2016 at 03:47:18PM -0500, Louis Kowolowski wrote:
>> Regarding XFS, why would you need ways to zero out data? I thought the whole point was to keep the data…isn’t that why we’re storing it? I mean…srsly.
>
> To prevent those that should have access to what is private to getting at it.

As in, a way that other filesystems don’t need to offer? or because you can’t write directly to the underlying devices (is this disallowed in Linux now)? Lastly, why does it need to be ‘ways’ instead of ‘a way’? I’m not asking a security/privacy question. I’m familiar with the issues surrounding the needs/desires of encrypting/wiping disks. This seems more like a architectural question. Why they felt the need to provide more than one way of zeroing out the data, via calls within the filesystem (with associated tools).

--
Louis Kowolowski                                louisk at cryptomonkeys.org <mailto:louisk at cryptomonkeys.org>
Cryptomonkeys:                                   http://www.cryptomonkeys.com/ <http://www.cryptomonkeys.com/>

Making life more interesting for people since 1977