[PLUG] Nothing on monitors

King Beowulf kingbeowulf at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 03:50:18 UTC 2016

On Saturday, June 25, 2016, Dick Steffens <dick at dicksteffens.com> wrote:

> I'm typing this on my laptop.
>
> I've just set up my computer after it was off for a couple of weeks. I'm
> installed at a friend's house, so I don't know much about the local
> network except that it's 192.168.1.xxx being fed by a Netgear WNR1000.
>
> I plugged all the stuff together for my desktop computer ... two
> monitors, power and data connected, monitor pilot lights blink. I've got
> a keyboard and a mouse connected, and the Ethernet cable is connected.
> Power to the box is connected. Speakers are connected and powered.
>
> When I turn power on to the computer, I hear it do all it's usual stuff,
> but nothing appears on the monitors. At this point I don't know what
> it's IP address is, so I can't try connecting from the laptop.
>
> Any ideas where I should look next?
>
> Is there a way, using my laptop, to find out what IP address the WNR1000
> assigned to the desktop computer? The laptop is connected to the WNR1000
> via WiFi. I've also got my wife's Win7 machine up and running on the
> same network.
>
> Clue stick appreciated.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Dick Steffens

When you initially set up the desktop networking, you gave it a name.  The
wigi router dhcp knows what it is if it assigned an IP address lease so do

ssh <username>@<computer name>

Also, the netgear router has a list of all dhcp address assigned.  log in
via

http://192.168.1.1 from any attached computer

if desktop seems to fire up but has no video after a move

1. reseat video card
2. check for bent pins on video cable
3. plug monitor into know good computer

--
You! What PLANET is this!
    -- McCoy, "The City on the Edge of Forever", stardate 3134.0