[PLUG] Affordable colo/vps in Portland/Seattle area (Alexandre Bedard)

Brian P. Martin plugng3 at martinconsulting.com
Fri Mar 11 20:33:02 UTC 2016

On 03/11/2016 12:00 PM, plug-request at lists.pdxlinux.org wrote:
> Hi!
>
>       I've recently moved to Portland and am looking at relocating my
> personal server closer to home. I was wondering if anyone had
> recommendations for affordable colo or vps services in the area?
>
>       Leaning more towards colo as most VPS services charge an arm and a
> leg for the amount of storage I have.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Alex

Welcome to Portland, Alex.  I moved here 20 years ago, and just love it.

You might look at Atmosera
<https://www.atmosera.com/services/colocation/> (formerly EasyStreet) in
Tigard.  They offer a "colo condo" option where you can rent a fraction
of a cabinet if you don't need the whole thing.  The minimum rental unit
is a 6" or a little over 3U. I find them to be very professionally
operated (e.g. card-key + fingerprint required to access the colo area,
each rack individually and uniquely locked).  I also like the fact that
they provide crash carts and a work area suitable for executing that
emergency motherboard replacement.

There are lots of other colo facilities, from the low end right up to
ViaWest
<https://www.viawest.com/data-centers/oregon/hillsboro-data-center> in
Hillsboro, one of the highest rated colo data centers in the country.  I
found this site that mentions both of these and a variety of others in
the area, though I can't speak to the pedigree of the website:
http://www.datacentermap.com/usa/oregon/portland/

Good luck.  Maybe I'll meet you at a PLUG meeting some time.

                        -Brian

Brian P. Martin, Chief Consultant
Martin Consulting Services, Inc.
Phone: 503-617-4500