[PLUG] Gmail says we are sending spam

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sat Mar 12 19:34:49 UTC 2016

On Sat, 12 Mar 2016, Denis Heidtmann wrote:

> What suggestions do you experts have to offer?  Pay for a service?  A
> consultant to set up our Gmail? Mailchimp? (we tried it briefly, but
> Mandrill was much easier and sufficient. Now Mandrill is an integral part
> of Mailchimp.)
>
> Thanks for your ideas.

Denis,

   Consider setting up Mailman, either yourself or if your ISP has it
available. SpiritOne/Aracnet does and I've a couple of maillists set up
there. The ISP provides upgrades and security so I don't have to futz with
it.

   What might be directly related to your issue is a situation I recently
resolved with my newsletter (approximately 600 recipients). I sent it using
mailx in a simple script. Once a certain number of recipients of the same
message was reached I started to get bounces with a 300 code. Investigating
that problem taught me that because I must relay outgoing mail through my
ISP's mail server I hit their limit. Above 300 different messages to
different addresses per hour and/or 100 of the same message to different
addresses per hout looks like spam and is throttled.

   Galen pointed me to the solution. In my local postfix installation I limit
outgoing messages to one per 13 seconds. That allows me to send 276 messages
per hour. I divided my newsletter address list into separate files, and send
each one at approximately half-hour intervals. No more bounces. It might be
that Google is throttling your maillings because the volume/time makes them
appear as spam.

HTH,