[PLUG] System 76 laptops w/ Skylake pocessors

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Thu Mar 17 04:14:02 UTC 2016

On Wed, 16 Mar 2016 17:08:40 -0700
Denis Heidtmann <denis.heidtmann at gmail.com> dijo:

>Their latest have Skylake processors.  The come with Ubuntu 14.04
>(LTS) or 15.10.  They anticipate some possible delay in offering 16.04
>(LTS) after 16.04 is released.  Is there any reason to be concerned
>about this?  Can I expect that the issues will be dealt with so that a
>year or so from now upgrading to 17.04 will go without issues?

Regarding which version of Ubuntu, it depends on your personal
preferences. I don't like having to upgrade all the time, so I stick
with the LTS releases. And even when a new LTS release comes out (e.g.,
16.04), I don't upgrade right away. But that's just me. Others like
having the latest thing, and that's fine too.

Also, 17.04 will not be an LTS release. The LTS releases come out every
other year, e.g., 14.04, 16.04, 18.04, etc.

I suspect that the reason System76 won't put 16.04 on their computers
right away is because they want to do some testing with all their
different models. If they discover a problem they may have to write
some code to patch up where Ubuntu broke something. This would probably
also involve communicating back and forth with Ubuntu. This could all
take a couple weeks or more. But I wouldn't sweat any of this. It's a
brand new computer with a freshly installed operating system where you
haven't yet installed a ton of programs and made a lot of personal
customizations. If something is broken you can always wipe it out and
install 14.04 or 15.10.