[PLUG] Acroread Changes Typeface [RESOLVED]

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Fri Mar 18 17:25:37 UTC 2016

On Fri, 18 Mar 2016 08:59:13 -0700
Dale Snell <ddsnell at frontier.com> dijo:

>On Fri, 18 Mar 2016 08:34:14 -0700 (PDT), in message
>alpine.LNX.2.11.1603180829460.30163 at localhost, Rich Shepard wrote:
>
>>    I used to use xpdf, but it's a version or so behind Adobe, so I
>> switched to mupdf. That does a great job, but sometimes blocked text
>> cannot be transferred to another application. Acroread has useful
>> capabilities that help me when mupdf cannot.
>>
>>    Okular is a KDE app which requires loading KDE (including the
>> kitchen sink), and I run Xfce so I'll stick with xpdf, mupdf, and
>> acroread.

>I’m also running XFCE.  My current favorite PDF viewer is qpdfview,
>which does not depend on KDE or GNOME.  It does require one of the
>Qt libraries; I forget which, though.

I have just about every PDF viewer installed that will run on Xubuntu
14.04. My default workhorse is plain old Evince. Qpdfview is not bad,
but Evince has a "properties" option that displays information about
the file, including fonts, which is occasionally useful. Evince (like
Okular and qpdfview) can also import a straight Postscript file (.ps),
and then save as PDF if desired. Okular, as mentioned above, needs KDE,
but I have so many other KDE apps installed that it doesn't add much
more. I hardly ever use it because its print function is worthless,
e.g., if you tell it the document is landscape it still prints as
portrait, plus it fails to see options available in my prnters. Acroread
lets me view properties like fonts and usually prints correctly, but
takes forever to launch. Mostly I keep it around because if I need to
send a file to an outside print company Acroread is the gold standard.