[PLUG] Guiding a geographically remote friend from Windows to Linux

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sun Mar 27 07:31:42 PDT 2016

On Sun, 27 Mar 2016, Richard Owlett wrote:

> [Based on having known him and is wife for ~50 years.] For the same reason
> Gnome3 is out. I'm leaning towards Mate as DE.

Richard,

   Take a look at Xfce4 for a GUI. It's not KDE or Gnome and is lightweight.

> The second option is for me to create a LiveCD [don't know if all his
> machines can boot from a flash drive]. There would be a script which would
> write the information to a flash drive I supplied. That drive would have
> an appropriate UUID.

   This has two advantages over your first option. 1) You can have it run
uname and your friend can transmit the results to you (see man uname). 2) He
can play with the live CD, become familiar (or lost, his choice) and give
you feedback on the experience(s).