[PLUG] Guiding a geographically remote friend from Windows to Linux

Richard Owlett rowlett at cloud85.net
Sun Mar 27 20:38:35 UTC 2016

On 3/27/2016 11:05 AM, Tim Wescott wrote:

> Check Xubuntu for usability. Most of Ubuntu's Microsoft like qualities are in the desktop, and Xubuntu puts Xfce on top of Ubuntu. Lubuntu is a possibility, too. (I use Xubuntu, for much the reasons you quote).

Remember you introduced me to the Debian family in the first
place. Besides their default UI I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable
having having him on something using a rolling release
philosophy. I only sporadically follow Ubuntu related groups,
does that create any problems in the real world? As to which UI,
I'd have look at each of them. The choice would depend more
heavily on "human factors" than technical specs.