[PLUG] Guiding a geographically remote friend from Windows to Linux

Richard Owlett rowlett at cloud85.net
Mon Mar 28 08:25:40 UTC 2016

On 3/27/2016 5:23 PM, Tim Wescott wrote:

> That's a good point - I've had Ubuntu updates screw things up. I've just adopted
>  a strategy of putting in a new hard drive whenever X.04 comes
out and doing a
>  clean install. It sounds like that's not for him.

Definitely. Although he's the one who completed a BSEE, I'm the
one that's into the computer internals (hardware or software). I
know he is into a quite different set of applications than I. Not
sure what his current uses are as I've not been up there for
several years. I suggested in a recent exchange that he keep a
diary of programs used for a week to give me an idea. His email
response included:
"Neither of us [he and his wife] KNOW what we want a computer to
do other than whatever we happen to ask it to do, and from day to
day, who knows whatever that might be or if we would be able to
describe it."