[PLUG] Fix SSL Error in Chrome Browser

Dick Steffens dick at dicksteffens.com
Tue Mar 29 00:55:28 UTC 2016

On 03/28/2016 05:09 PM, Rich Shepard wrote:
>     One laptop here running Slackware-14.1/x86_64 has Google Chrome as a web
> browser. Several sites are inaccessible because of this error:
> err_ssl_protocol_err. (FWIW, I run chromium and it does not have this
> issue, but the laptop's user needs the closed-source chrome for some
> purpose.)
>
>     My web searches find all sorts of Microsoft users with this problem. The
> only solution I saw said to find the options page and change SSL to v2.0;
> apparently v3.0 is the default that's a vulnerable version not accepted by
> many sites.
>
>     My question is how to find the options page so I can change SSL to the
> more secure version. Clicking on the icon with 3 horizontal lines offers
> 'settings' but there's nothing on there about security.
>
>     Help needed.

If history is a guide, someone will probably see some error in my
thinking here, but here's what I tried.

Google foo: Google chrome ssl revert to 2.0

Result page: https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95572?hl=en

That looks like you were on the right track, but didn't go deep enough.
But, since I don't use Chrome, I don't have a way to test it.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens